Monday 5 May 2014

The Elusive Pull-up

I have always done sports- I think I started playing t-ball when I was 5 or so. I can thank my parents for enrolling me in athletics growing up- fastball, basketball, volleyball, track and field, a brief hockey tryout one year. I have always enjoyed sports but also enjoy workouts by myself- typically running. This year, I decided I was going to do more than just run. I got myself a gym membership and have been going to  fairly religiously since January 2014. I have been doing cardio...and weights. I am slowly (so unbelievably slowly) getting stronger and can squat/lift/push/pull more weight than I could when I first started. This brings me to the pull-up. Damn this elusive exercise!! I try every week to pull myself up and over that stupid bar to no avail. If I'm lucky I can move an 1/8 of an inch while turning beet red and making awful, grunting noises. "Mind over matter" I say to myself as I hang unmoving from the bar. 

Maybe next week. Sigh.

2 comments:

  1. When I briefly (and strangely) considered apply to RMC there were two fitness lists - what you had to have to get accepted and then what you needed to get to before going. (I can't find any of this online, it looks like their fitness requirements/testing changed in 2013). I remember pull-ups being part of the Need To Have By September section: 10 for guys and 4 SUGGESTED for girls. It was the only requirement that was suggested instead of mandatory. I remember deciding right then an there that I would never worry myself about not being able to do one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a good way to live life. I am just jealous of guys at the gym (who aren't in the best shape!) being able to crank out pullups like they are going out of style.

      Delete